ownCloud is an open-source file sharing software designed and built to give businesses and individuals control over their data and sovereign workspaces. With a team of more than 70 people, we develop the ownCloud server, the sync clients, our mobile apps and the web interface to enable secure and effective file collaboration across companies, organizations, administrations, institutions and families. We also implement customized solutions for enterprises and directly manage and maintain ownCloud instances. With over 100 million users worldwide, ownCloud is the market-leading open-source software for content collaboration.
As an Android developer with the ownCloud Engineering team, you will help build and improve our open-source enterprise-grade mobile applications. The ownCloud mobile apps for Android and iOS are an increasingly important part of the ownCloud experience – a sovereign file platform that makes it easy and secure for users to access, manage and share their data.
- You develop and improve an existing premium app for the Android mobile platform that enables users to store, sync and share their data. You design and implement of new features. You extend and debug the existing open source code base of the ownCloud Android App.
- You will be working in a group with other Android developers and in a larger team of other engineers that work on the iOS App and the Desktop Client. Together with the other engineering teams, your team ensures that ownCloud delivers a consitent and helpful experience to out more than 100 million users around the world.
- Your development workflow will be based on git, review processes and continuous integration.
- You will act as an open source player that shows an open, cooperative and responsive attitude to internal, external and enterprise communities.
- You will participate in the release process and carry out code maintenance.
Your core competencies
- You have a degree in engineering or computer science, or any other IT related education, and ideally three years of work experience.
- You have actively programmed Android mobile apps for more than one year.
- You are well-versed in Android-specific functions for security, performance and enterprise use, for example Android for Work, MDM/EMM configuration (Appconfig.org), Scoped Storage and other enterprise-relevant features of the Android platform.
- You love to learn about new Android features and watch Android Dev space closely.
- You enjoy proposing your design ideas for architecture and GUI to the team.
- You take the responsiblity for parts of the software stack.
- You like to work in teams and are comfortable with modern workflows.
- Your written and spoken English allows for effective communication.
- Being an experienced open source contributor is a big plus
Culture of work
- As a company with distributed teams, our people work remote or in our office in Nuremberg, Bavaria. Depending on the job, not everyone’s most productive workspace is in the office – in special occasions it‘s necessary to be on-site
- We are hackers, coders and nerds. We have a contagious passion and inner enthusiasm for our work and our role
- We are constantly on the hunt for new solutions, unexpected connections and unforeseen possibilities. We are open to new experiences, explore new ideas and uncover even the last hack and trick along the way
- We believe that we are only as good as our next project. We encourage a culture of flat hierarchies, with great opportunities to move things forward. We build on flexibility and a sense of openness to change
- Being part of the ownCloud team is like joining a tribe. Meet us occasionally after work for a burger or billards. Or, in the current environment, a socially distanced beer in BigBlueButton
- ownCloud is open-source and community driven. It’s the people who make this place to what it is. Join our quest to give businesses and individuals control over their data!
Founded in 2011 we are looking back at nearly ten years full of exiting stories. Learn more about ownCloud as a company, our origins and the milestones along the way.
Besides our core team, ownCloud is supported by a community of more than 1,300 enthusiasts. To find out how you can get involved as well, click here.