ownCloud is an open-source file sharing software designed and built to give businesses and individuals control over their data and sovereign workspaces. With a team of more than 70 people, we develop the ownCloud server, the sync clients, our mobile apps and the web interface to enable secure and effective file collaboration across companies, organizations, administrations, institutions and families. We also implement customized solutions for enterprises and directly manage and maintain ownCloud instances. With over 100 million users worldwide, ownCloud is the market-leading open-source software for content collaboration.
As a C++ developer with the ownCloud Engineering team, you will help build and improve our open-source enterprise-grade file synchronization software. The ownCloud Desktop Client is cross-platform open source software for Windows, macOS and Linux, using the Qt class library extensively.
To make best use of the features specific to the operating systems, we are also using native APIs where needed, for example for file access or file placeholders.
- You design and review new approaches to building a great ownCloud experience on desktops.
- You code new features, improve existing ones and fix bugs.
- You support the testing strategy by implementing tests on various levels.
- You set up test environments to analyze complex http based protocol flows.
- You collaborate with other client developers, ie. for mobile apps, to find consistent solutions.
- You embrace our git-based development workflow and help review software.
- You participate in the software lifecycle with testing, releasing and maintaining.
Your core competencies
- You have a degree in engineering or computer science, or any other IT related education, and ideally three years of work experience.
- You have actively developed with C, C++ 11 or higher and ideally Qt.
- You have worked in teams that provide production-grade software.
- You bring a cross-platform mindset.
- You are familiar with the Windows C++ API.
- You like to work in teams and are comfortable with modern workflows.
- Your written and spoken English allows for effective communication.
- Being an experienced open source contributor is a big plus
Culture of work
- As a remote-equal comany with distributed teams, we believe that not everyone’s most productive workspace is the office. You can work remotely. If you prefer to work in an office, we maintain ours in Nuremberg, Bavaria
- We are hackers, coders and nerds. We have a contagious passion and inner enthusiasm for our work and our role
- We are constantly on the hunt for new solutions, unexpected connections and unforeseen possibilities. We are open to new experiences, explore new ideas and uncover even the last hack and trick along the way
- We believe that we are only as good as our next project. We encourage a culture of flat hierarchies, with great opportunities to move things forward. We build on flexibility and a sense of openness to change
- Being part of the ownCloud team is like joining a tribe. Meet us occasionally after work for a burger or billards. Or, in the current environment, a socially distanced beer in BigBlueButton
- ownCloud is open-source and community driven. It’s the people who make this place to what it is. Join our quest to give businesses and individuals control over their data!
Founded in 2011 we are looking back at nearly ten years full of exiting stories. Learn more about ownCloud as a company, our origins and the milestones along the way.
Besides our core team, ownCloud is supported by a community of more than 1,300 enthusiasts. To find out how you can get involved as well, click here.