ownCloud is the leading open-source file collaboration software designed and built to give businesses and individuals control over their data. With a team of more than 70 people, we develop the ownCloud server, the sync clients, our mobile apps and the web interface to enable secure and effective file collaboration across companies, organizations, administrations, institutions and families. We also implement customized solutions for enterprises and directly manage and maintain ownCloud instances. With over 100 million users worldwide, ownCloud is the market-leading open-source software for content collaboration.
You will join the Professional Service Department and will develop customer projects from the initial engagement to go-live. You will interact with our engineering department and help to define the future product features on an Enterprise level.
You are highly motivated, technically versed to understand development and deployment processes in teams. You can work with complex solutions from a backend perspective and enhance existing code and adapt an Open Source style of coding.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Fluent in PHP7, moving into PHP8
- Well structured developer with and without PHP frameworks
- Ability to interact professionally with other developers and project management
- Documenting and explaining your solutions to other developers
- Solution oriented implementation of patches and refactoring in existing source
- PHP7 and 8
- Database understanding and development (SQL)
- Strong technical understanding of servers, clients and networking infrastructure
- Strong communication skills with other leading developers
- A big plus, if you have experience with system administration
- Linux server configuration
- Experience with various tech stacks (Redis, LDAP, etc.)
- University degree (Bachelor or higher) in Computer Science or Information Technology (or similar)
- Fluent in English and good practice in German (at least B1)
Culture of work
- As a company with distributed teams, our people work remote or in our office in Nuremberg, Bavaria. Depending on the job, not everyone’s most productive workspace is in the office – in special occasions it‘s necessary to be on-site
- We are hackers, coders and nerds. We have a contagious passion and inner enthusiasm for our work and our role
- We are constantly on the hunt for new solutions, unexpected connections and unforeseen possibilities. We are open to new experiences, explore new ideas and uncover even the last hack and trick along the way
- We believe that we are only as good as our next project. We encourage a culture of flat hierarchies, with great opportunities to move things forward. We build on flexibility and a sense of openness to change
- Being part of the ownCloud team is like joining a tribe. Meet us occasionally after work for a burger or billards. Or, in the current environment, a socially distanced beer in BigBlueButton
- ownCloud is open source and community driven. It’s the people who make this place to what it is. Join our quest to give businesses and individuals control over their data!
Founded in 2011 we are looking back at nearly ten years full of exiting stories. Learn more about ownCloud as a company, our origins and the milestones along the way.
Besides our core team, ownCloud is supported by a community of more than 1,300 enthusiasts. To find out how you can get involved as well, click here.