With ownCloud X we introduced the Guests app to extend ownCloud’s sharing capabilities and make it a breeze to share files with externals who do not yet have a user account at your ownCloud.
Instead of using public share links that are rather useful for quick sharing a user just enters an email address in the sharing dialog. The receiver is notified, has the ability to activate a guest account and starts using ownCloud right away. Guests get access to ownCloud features as configured by the admin and they can even use the ownCloud Clients (Desktop/Android/iOS). Sharing and collaboration have never been so easy!
The 0.4.2 release contains some polishing under the hood and sets the foundation for version 0.5 that will round-off the feature with some very handy additions and highly improved usability.
The most notable changes for 0.4.2 are:
- Added ability to directly enter an email address in the sharing dialog
- Added separate guests activation page (previously ‚password reset‘ was used which had some drawbacks)
- Fixed bug that prevented guests admin settings to be displayed (see ‚Sharing‘ section)
- Fixed bug that prevented sharing with existing email addresses
- Improved admin settings to be more intuitive and easier to use
As said, stay tuned for the following version 0.5 which will be even more feature-oriented.