With 10.0.3 we introduce over 400 improvements to deliver one of the most sophisticated ownCloud releases so far. Lots of new features make ownCloud smoother than it has ever been, and the enormous performance improvements support this feeling.
Next to optimizations of uploads, we decreased the number of database queries even further. The removal of initial scanning overhead makes federated sharing less time-consuming, and the duration of contact searches in your ownCloud and with federated instances is drastically reduced. All of these improvements make the user experience of ownCloud quick and uncomplicated, and the performance of your ownCloud installation outstanding.
One big focus with this ownCloud 10.0.3 release has been the upgrade process. For a software as complex as ownCloud, upgrading over major releases is not an easy task. But here are the good news – we made it work! By offering an upgrade path from the already deprecated 8.2.11 version directly to the new ownCloud 10.0.3 the upgrade process is now easier than ever. If you have an older version, you just go to the latest point release of your major version (8.2.11, 9.0.10, 9.1.6, as of writing), and then conduct only one upgrade to the newest ownCloud release directly.
Apart from that, here is a list of the biggest improvements:
- Upload chunking in the web interface (enables e.g. large file upload for IE11)
- Default user and group share permissions are now configurable in the ‘Sharing’ section of admin settings
- All database columns that use the FileID have been changed to bigint (64-bits) to ensure future-proof operation of large instances
- Added ‚occ user:inactive‘ command to list inactive/disabled users
- Transfer ownership (occ command to transfer file ownership and shares from one user to another) now works with master key encryption
- A proper hint will now be shown when trying to access unreachable private links (no access permission or user not logged in)
- Performance improvements (e.g. upload optimizations & decreased number of database queries)
- Upgrade migrations: It is now possible to directly upgrade from 8.2.11 to 10.0.3 in a single upgrade process
You can find even more features, changes, and all other information in the changelog.
Apart from the 10.0.3 server version, we are releasing a whole bunch of updates for several apps in a bulk today. Here is a list of all of the apps which got improved, including Contacts and Calendar. You can download these community apps on the Marketplace:
And these new app versions are included in the 10.0.3 server bundle:
Notifications – Changelog
Anti-Virus – Changelog
Market – Changelog
One app, Diagnostics, even sees its first light today. Piotr Mrówczyński wrote it, so ownCloud admins can identify bottlenecks in the underlying infrastructure as well as further improve ownCloud’s performance itself. You can download it on the Marketplace, as usual.
Thanks to all developers who contributed to this awesome 10.0.3 release, and who wrote the apps. You are great.