We are proud to announce that ownCloud has joined the Alliance for Cyber Security. With this, we are now a part of a group of leading companies, organizations and institutions working towards stepping up Germany’s fight against cybercrime.
Data security has always been a top priority at ownCloud. We are extremely pleased about this opportunity to share our expertise and extensive know-how in cyber security and digital sovereignty with other enterprises.
Alongside, we are confident of greatly benefitting from active participation in an exchange of knowledge and experiences with other major institutes in the cyber security environment, and consequently be able to provide an enhanced data security solution to our users.
About the Alliance for Cyber Security
The Alliance for Cyber Security was founded in 2012 by the Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) in co-operation with the German Federal Association for Information Technology, Telecommunications and Germany’s digital association (BITKOM).
It was founded with the aim of bringing together the combined expertise of major cyber security players across various industries in Germany to provide constantly-updated information on cybercrimes.
It also provides participating institutions a platform to share cybercrime-related experiences, efficient incident-handling methods and pragmatic security measures to combat the rising wave of cybercrime in Germany.
Germany and the war against cybercrime
An alarming surge in cybercrimes all over the world has been the price to pay for the burgeoning digitalization and networking over the last several years. Cybercriminals are getting increasingly sophisticated by the day and launching unprecedented, often multi-level, malicious cyber attacks, resulting in disastrous losses in time, finances and goodwill for enterprises. The following statistics put into perspective the seriousness of the issue and the need for urgent adoption of measures to combat the threat.
- The National Situation (BKA) reported that 108,474 cybercrimes had been reported in 2020, a 7.9% increase over 2019 — and more than twice as many as in 2015.
- Germany’s federal police documented nearly 8% increase in cybercrime in 2020.
- Data manipulation and computer sabotage went up by 18% in 2020 compared to 2019 in Germany.
- The BKA report also emphasized that ransomware attacks were among the «primary threats to businesses and public institutions» in 2020.
- Germany’s Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) detected 144 million new malware variants between June 2020 to the end of May 2021 — up by 22% since the previous year.
- In February 2021, BSI detected 553,000 malware variants in a single day — an unprecedented occurence.
- A representative study by the digital association Bitkom reported that the German economy had to accept an estimated 223 billion euros in damages from cyber attacks in 2020-21, more than double of the damages incurred in 2018-19.
It goes without saying that the above statistics paint a grim picture of the current state of cyber security in Germany. However, all hope is not lost. On the bright side, more and more companies are now becoming aware of cyber threats and investing time, finances and efforts in stepping up their cybersecurity measures to protect sensitive and valuable data.
Irrespective of your industry and the size of your organization, ownCloud is equipped to deliver a high level of protection for your data. If you would like to implement or step up data security solution options for your company and are interested in understanding in further detail how ownCloud can help to protect your sensitive and valuable data,, we welcome you to contact us and together we will find the right combination of setups and plug-ins to suit the unique needs of your business.