- Platform: Desktop-clients
- Versions: 2.2.3,
- Date: 8/17/2016
- Risk level: Medium
- CVSS v2 Base Score: 4.1 (AV:L/AC:M/Au:S/C:C/I:P/A:N/E:F/RL:OF/RC:C)
- CWE: Process Control (CWE-114)
The ownCloud Client was vunerable to a local code injection attack. A malicious local user could create a special path where the client would load libraries from during startup. As on Windows, everyone by default has the permission to write to the
C: drive and create arbitrary directories and subdirectories, this attack is practically feasible in any non-hardened Windows environment. This could lead to injecting code into other users’ ownCloud Client.
- ownCloud Desktop < 2.2.3 (CVE-2016-7102)
To protect our users ownCloud has issued the 2.2.3 client which no longer loads code from this location.
The ownCloud team thanks the following people for their research and responsible disclosure of the above advisory:
- Florian Bogner – Vulnerability discovery and disclosure.