Today we are excited to announce the inception of the ownCloud Marketplace, which will be available in early 2017!
Developers from the community have been approaching us for a marketing platform, so the idea of the marketplace is to give developers and partners what they’ve been asking for; a platform to market and distribute their own commercial and open source apps. They will have the option to generate revenue from licenses, maintenance and support, or they can even distribute their apps free of charge. We hope that with the creation of the market place we will be able to consolidate the ownCloud ecosystem and further expand ownCloud’s leading position in the market.
Here are a few of the greatest benefits the marketplace will offer our developers and partners:
- Developers will be able to market and sell their own apps.
- Web agencies can develop ownCloud themes and offer them for sale.
- Consultancies can market solutions for specific sectors and industries and develop business models.
- Software houses can link ownCloud to their own software and market the integration codes under open source or commercial licenses.
- Workflows: ownCloud Enterprise offers a workflow functionality in Version 9.1. Developers will be able market customer or user-specific workflows within the marketplace.
The ownCloud marketplace will support various license models—not only will the developers and our partners be able to promote enhancements as free open source, they will also be at liberty to charge for maintenance and support, or even offer their software as a subscription with a commercial license. However, any and all enhancements that may be made to the ownCloud core will need to be provided under AGPLv3 so that the ownCloud Commercial License can allow those commercial enhancements.