The ownCloud Audit App provides a secure data protection and compliance system by enabling enterprises to enjoy full control and access to actions performed on its platform, its aim being the prevention of loss and abuse of sensitive data.
The ownCloud Audit App records the actions that users and administrators of an enterprise perform on a platform and the ways in which they handle sensitive data. These actions are logged and traceable in the Audit App, and can be accessed and proven for compliance reasons by an enterprise if the circumstances so demand, for example, when data breach or data abuse is suspected.
Features and functions
By using the ownCloud Audit App, enterprises are able to:
- Exercise complete control over actions performed by users and administrators on the platform
- Reduce the risk of data abuse, data breach and cyber crimes
- Enable immediate flagging and follow-up of suspicious digital activities
- Ensure data protection in scenarios that demand strict regulation, for example, in the healthcare or financial sector
- Carry out reporting and auditing of operations
- Prove compliance with corporate guidelines
How it works
The ownCloud Audit App logs the actions performed by users and administrators on the platform of an enterprise. These log entries are written in JSON format and are optimized to be consumed by professional log analyzers (like Splunk or ELK stack) to collect statistics, derive visualizations and set alerts for certain events of interest.
The logs are written to the owncloud.log file by default. If you require a separate log file, for example, for legal or compliance reasons, you will find an example of how to split those in config.sample.php.
The ownCloud integration for Splunk consists of an app and an add-on, both available in Splunkbase. Splunk is configured to retrieve log, audit and metrics data from the ownCloud Metrics API and the ownCloud Enterprise Audit App.
Splunk uses this data to provide reports, visualizations, filterable views and alerts for specific events.
The ownCloud Audit App is available as a part of the Enterprise edition.
Ready to get started?
Learn more about Auditing
(Very old) Instructional Video