ownCloud is a universal file access platform that is hosted in your data center, on your servers, using your storage. ownCloud delivers the visibility, control and integration into complex, secure and compliant environments that IT needs while providing users the frictionless access to all of their files from any device. This is made possible through ownCloud’s open, modular architecture, extreme extensibility and unique federated cloud sharing capabilities.
With over 10 million community and enterprise users, ownCloud is the preferred file access solution for organizations across the globe. Whether looking for file sync and share, universal file access or Federated Cloud Sharing, ownCloud has the solution that is right for you.
The Reality of the IT Landscape
Your IT landscape is complex, and often inherited. You have storage systems, servers, private cloud management tools, log managers, backup tools, and lots more already deployed in the enterprise and you don’t want to add another silo to enable secure file sharing for your employees. But you also don’t want your corporate confidential information being passed around in consumer-grade applications across multiple devices. You are looking for an answer that lets you leverage your existing infrastructure without duplicating or moving data. Further, you are looking to regain control while enabling collaboration and on-the-go productivity that is demanded by your workforce.
We can help.
The ownCloud Solution –
Universal Access to All of Your Data
ownCloud provides Universal File Access through a single front-end to all of IT’s disparate systems. Users can access company files on any device, anytime, from anywhere while IT can manage, control and audit file sharing activity to ensure security and compliance measures are met. It is provided through a common file access layer regardless of where the data lives – in applications, object stores, on-premises storage or in the cloud – all completely managed, secured and controlled by IT. It provides frictionless collaboration – all while maintaining the policies and procedures that IT has established to effectively manage the business.
Existing Infrastructure: ownCloud mounts any object store like S3 or SharePoint, and has APIs to integrate easily with existing tool chains and the corporate infrastructure including:
- SharePoint: ownCloud treats SharePoint as an external storage location, translating ownCloud commands into SharePoint commands and enabling mobile, web and sync client access. With SharePoint integration, ownCloud users can directly access their SharePoint document libraries.
- Windows Network Drives: ownCloud administrators can integrate one or more network drives within a single ownCloud instance, treating them as external storage and allowing users to access, sync and share files stored on the Windows network drives.
- S3, Swift, Ceph, FTP: ownCloud leverages storage that already exists, including S3, Swift, Ceph, FTP or any type of storage that follows standard storage protocols.
Built with a goal of providing universal file access, ownCloud provides the same simple interface to admins, but has extended the ability to integrate more and more data—both onsite and in the cloud. Users have access to a full suite of file sharing features, and can work collaboratively at their desks, from their laptops, on their tablets and on their phones. ownCloud is fast and easy to install; you choose the servers onto which ownCloud is installed and integrate with files where they are stored. Wizard interfaces enable you to integrate ownCloud with existing Active Directory/LDAP services (and any authentication service accessible via SAML),SharePoint, Windows network drive(s) and more. ownCloud’s File Firewall provides you with advanced rules-driven access controls and encryption can be configured to meet your specific security requirements.
ownCloud integrates seamlessly with your existing security, DLP, MDM, event logging, monitoring and back-up systems. And ownCloud’s open architecture and APIs allow you to easily add corporate branding, and extend core functionality as needed to meet your evolving needs.
At ownCloud, we take security very seriously and we know that it encompasses broad considerations, processes and technologies. ownCloud installs in your data center; managed by you, to your policies, following your procedures. Encryption at rest secures your files on the server and still allows sharing among users. The File Firewall ensures all access requests meet rules set by the administrator, and existing infrastructure – such as intrusion detection and log management – can provide added layers of security. With WebDAV, mobile libraries and the ownCloud API as well as several enterprise-only apps, secure file sharing is in your control.
Learn more about ownCloud Security.
Organizations that must share sensitive data internally and externally rely on the on-premises universal file access platform from ownCloud. Only ownCloud delivers the visibility, control and integration into complex, secure and compliant environments that IT needs while providing users the frictionless access to all of their files from any device. This is made possible through ownCloud’s open, modular architecture, extreme extensibility and unique Federated Cloud Sharing capabilities.
File Sharing for the Enterprise – public cloud flexibility with private cloud security
- Access – Enable anywhere, anytime access from any device, regardless of where the data lives. Behind the scenes, IT can leverage existing data management, security and governance tools and processes without replication of directories, ACLs or data.
- Control– IT chooses the servers onto which ownCloud is installed and controls where all files are stored, leveraging storage across on-site storage devices, and private/hybrid cloud storage services. The wizard enables IT admins to quickly integrate ownCloud with existing Active Directory or LDAP services and ownCloud’s File Firewall provides advanced rules-driven access controls at the file level.
- Management– ownCloud integrates quickly and easily with existing authentication, authorization, logging, monitoring, database and back-up systems. In addition, ownCloud‘s open architecture, mobile libraries and APIs allow IT to rapidly extend core functionality and enhance the solution to meet their specific needs.
Learn more about the features in ownCloud Enterprise Edition.
ownCloud Community Edition, the community-powered open source project, is based on ownCloud Server. ownCloud Standard Subscription offers the Community Edition, with 8×5 email support and is ideal for professionals who do not require enterprise features. For larger deployments requiring expanded support or enterprise capabilities, the ownCloud Enterprise Subscription offers Enterprise Edition as well as enterprise-class email and phone support (12×5 up to 24×7), branding and mobile apps. View our comparison chart for a more complete look at the differences between ownCloud editions and subscriptions.
The following resources will provide you with a closer look at ownCloud:
Minimum System Requirements
- Server OS requires PHP 5.4 or greater (5.6 recommended)
- Fully packaged:
– Debian 8
– RHEL / CENTOS 6.6, 7
– Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and 15.10
– SLES 11 SP4, SLES 12 SP1
- Webserver: Apache
- Databases: MySQL 5.5, Maria 10.0 or higher, PostgreSQL 9.1.19 or higher, Oracle 11g+ (Oracle is Enterprise Subscription only)
- Apache: 2.2 or 2.4 (2.4 is recommended)
- Hypervisors: Hyper-V, VMware ESX, Xen, KVM